How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- About 14% of the total population, suffers from loss of hearing
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of people over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
This is very worrisome. Because health issues like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in some cases even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely persuasive fact. But hearing aids can actually decrease that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can just give us a call.